Matching Crochetted Cardigans for I + M

I’ve finally finished the second part of this so can at last publish this poor, almost finished blog post that I started 5 months ago…..

My last couple of week’s summer holiday project was to try crochetting my first ‘proper’ bit of clothing to a bought pattern…ooo-er!  I’m a massive ‘make-it-up-as-I-go-until-it-looks-right’ type crochetter and so this was a bit of a challenge to get my head around.

And so typically I used the wrong type of yarn, which meant that the sizing came up waaaay too small + I had to make emergency additions to make it fit DD nicely and with room to grow a bit.

But it finally came out (sort of) as intended + now I’m very pleased!

The pattern I based this on was the Sirdar Snuggly pattern 1901 – I used a 100% cotton Katia Capri yarn + sizes 3mm and 2.5mm hooks (smaller one for edging).  I did the body following size 1-2 years, but then had to add in 4 extra rows of height front and back, with an extra decrease at the front top on both sides.  I made the sleeves following size 2-3 years, but had to make a 2-row deep extra length to patch into each sleeve seam up to the armpit so that DD could get her arms down the sleeves!  And all this was after I thought I’d done the tension gauge bit right (though never having done one of those before, that may have been the problem)!  I’m also wondering whether the grippy cotton yarn I used was much less stretchy than the intended, so the finished garment has very little ‘give’. I just don’t know, but blaming my tools helps!

Anyway, so having finished my first almost-to-a-pattern garment, I decided that I’d use this for inspiration for a top for DD’s doll Matilda.  Matilda desperately needed a top + so little while later, she’s got a little bolero-style cardigan to match DD….. But by the time I’d finished it, baby doll Matilda has been replaced by an as yet unnamed (and still a work in progress to be blogged later) rag doll that’ll be DD’s 2nd birthday present. The top fits her too, though it ends up as a 3/4 sleeve rather than a full sleeved top.

Here’s the pattern (which I made up as I went, and the Sirdar pattern for inspiration) – finished garment measures: XXXXXX

Sleeves (make 2 identical), using 3.0mm hook:

R1: Ch 28

R2: DC 27

R3: Ch 3 (counts as 1 Tr plus 1 Ch), miss 1 DC and Tr into next DC, *Ch 1, miss 1 DC and Tr into next DC*. Rep *-* to end of row (13 Ch spaces).

R4: DC into each Tr and each Ch space to end (27 DC).

R5: as R3

R6: Ch 3 (counts as 1 Tr plus 1 Ch), Tr into next Tr, *Ch 1, Tr into next Tr*. Rep *-* to end of row.

R7: Ch 3 (counts as 1 Tr plus 1 Ch), Tr into Tr that Ch 3 is standing on, *Ch 1, Tr into next Tr*. Rep *-* to end of row then do 1 more Tr into last Tr (15 Ch spaces).

R8-10: as R6

R11: **Ch 2 (counts as 1 Tr), Tr into next Tr, *Ch 1, Tr into next Tr*. Rep *-* to next to last Tr, then just Tr into last Tr (without the Ch 1).

R12: Ch 3 (counts as 1 Tr plus 1 Ch), miss 1 Tr and Tr into next Tr, *Ch 1, Tr into next Tr* to last 2 Tr, then Ch 1, miss 1 Tr and Tr into last Tr** (13 Ch spaces).

R13-16: Rep **-** twice (9 Ch spaces).

R17: Ch 2 (counts as 1 Tr), Tr into next 2 Tr, *Ch 1, Tr into next Tr*. Rep *-* to last 2 Tr, then just Tr into last 2 Tr, finish.

Back, using 3.0mm hook:

R1: Ch 34

R2: Tr into 6th Ch from hook (this makes a Ch loop that counts as 1Ch on R1, and 1 Tr, 1Ch on R2), *1 Ch, miss 1Ch, Tr into next Ch*. Repeat *-* 13 more times (to make 15 Ch spaces).

R3: Ch3 (counts as 1 Tr plus 1 Ch), Tr into next Tr, *Ch1, Tr into next Tr*. Repeat *-* along to end, finishing with last Tr into 4th Ch.

R4: Ch 2(counts as 1 Tr), Tr into next 2 Tr, *Ch1, Tr into next Tr*. Repeat *-* until the 3rd to last Tr and end with Tr into each of last 2 Tr.

R5: Ch 3 (counts as 1 Tr plus 1 Ch), miss 1 Tr, Tr into next Tr, *Ch 1, Tr into next Tr*, repeat *-* until the 3rd to last Tr and end with Ch1, miss the 2nd to last Tr and Tr into the last Tr.

R6-9: repeat rows 4-5 twice more + finish.

Join sleeves to make tubes (they should be joined from R1-R11). Attach back panel to sleeves, joining each single row of the sleeve to one row of the back panel, starting from the bottom row (R1-R2) of the back panel joining to R12 of the sleeves.

Border, using 2.5mm hook:

Join yarn somewhere at the bottom of back panel.

R1: DC evenly all the way around, making sure that there is an odd number of DC stitches (I did 2 DC into each Ch space + 1 extra to make the total an odd number), slst to join

R2: Ch 3 (counts as 1 Tr plus 1 Ch), miss 1 DC and Tr into next DC, *Ch 1, miss 1 DC and Tr into next DC*. Rep *-* to end, slst to join.

R4: Ch1, DC into each Tr and each Ch space to end, slst to join + finish.

Weave in ends, block and/or attach a ribbon or other fastening at the front if you fancy doing so + apply to doll 😀

*~,~*”*~,~*”*~,~*”*~,~*”*~,~*”*~,~*”*~,~*”*~,~*”*~,~*”*~,~*

Advertisements

About emeriminni

My name's Emily and I'm a pragmatic mum to 2 inspirational children, Sling Librarian, business owner/manager, part-time student & chronic craft enthusiast. I love reading, ranting, learning and making things & I'm interested in philosophy, psychology, babywearing & practical, natural-ish parenting, and all sorts of creative things (esp. crochet, dyeing, sewing, beading and baking).
This entry was posted in Crafting, Crochet. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s